Christmas is a Christian holiday commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ. It is celebrated every year on December 25 with the exception of some Eastern churches which use the older Julian calendar. Nowadays Christmas is also celebrated by a large number of non-Christian people around the world as a cultural event. In many countries it is a public holiday. As of 1870 Christmas is observed in the United States as a federal holiday.
A period of waiting and preparation before Christmas is called the “Advent Season”. In most churches it starts on the fourth Sunday before Christmas.
Customs and traditions
Due to its long history and the enormous popularity there are countless customs and traditions associated with Christmas. Some of them are well-known throughout the world, while the other are limited to specific countries and regions. The most popular involve Christmas Tree and special decorations like Advent wreaths, mistletoe, representations of Nativity scene and colorful lights. Family gatherings, special meals, singing Christmas carols and gift-giving are also an inseparable part of Christmas. And we cannot forget about the figure of Santa Claus who brings gifts to the well-behaved children on Christmas Eve.
Bible does not mention a specific date for Jesus’ birth. Most historians believe he was born in the spring, hence the description of shepherds herding animals. The date of December 25 for the Feast of the Nativity was set by the Western Christian Church (Pope Julius I) by the early-to-mid 4th century. It coincided with the pagan celebrations of the birthday of Mithra in the Roman cult of Mithraism. The date of December 25 is also close to the date of winter solstice which was celebrated in many European pagan cultures.
Modern Christmas tree tradition can be traced back to 16th-century Germany with the first documented Christmas tree found on the sculpture of a private home in Alsace (then part of Germany, today France), dating 1576 . In the United States, the first Christmas trees appeared in Strasbourg (Pennsylvania) in the 17th century with the arrival of German immigrants. The custom spread across the country in the second half of 19th century.
Don’t forget to select Christmas Eve quotes for friends, as your friends are really very special. With a simple and attractive wishing, you can impress your friends. Choose best Christmas Eve quotes for friends from here. Friends will be friends, no one can replace the wonderful relationship between friends. On this Christmas choose some best Funny Christmas Eve Quotes for friends and make them happy. Go online or check here. We are sorting some best Merry Christmas Eve Quotes for friends.
Merry Christmas Eve Traditions and Customs
- May all the beauty and blessings this Christmas season has to offer to be with you and your family. Happy Christmas to you all!
- Beneath the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, there is the true beauty of connecting with loved ones. May this beauty and joy lift you up during Christmas and the New Year!
- I wish you all the peace and joy of the season! Here’s to wishing you and your loved ones a very Merry Christmas and Joyful New Year!
- May this Christmas bring joy and love to your heart and soul, and may you start the New Year on a beautiful note. Wishing you the best Christmas and a safe and happy New Year!
- A star has come to earth! Spread the Christmas love and cheer! Merry Christmas!
- Christmas is forever, not for just one day, for loving, sharing, giving, are not to put away like
- Christmas is not a time nor season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and kindness, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas.
- Christmas is not an eternal event at all, but a piece of one’s home that one carries in one’s heart.
- I’m sending you warm bear hugs, loving kisses and earnest wishes for the wonderful occasion of
- Christmas. May you have a splendid Christmas filled with lights, songs, and cheer. Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year to you.
- I wish Santa brings you the gift of never ending happiness this Christmas! May you and your family be blessed abundantly. Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year!
Christmas Eve 2018 Quotes for Cards with Love
There are many people that want to celebrate Christmas at their fullest. If you are one among them then choose best Christmas quotes for cards with love from here. These quotes will be useful for you to send warm wishes to your beloved ones
- My dear friend, I’m wishing you all the blessings of a wonderful Christmastime and I hope you feel all the job this holiday season has to offer.
- I know we are always busy this holiday season but I want to take the time to wish you and yours, happy holidays. I hope we can spend time together soon.
- Christmas fills me with hope, joy, love, and happiness. I want you to know that your friendship makes me feel the same way.
- A silent night, a star above, a blessed gift of hope and love. A blessed Christmas to you!
So thankful am I for having a friend like you. Wishing you blessings for the holidays and the coming year.
Ho! Ho! Ho! It’s Christmas time! May love, success, luck and friendship come knocking at your door throughout this Christmas season. Have a wonderful Christmas. Here’s to wishing you a warm and happy Christmas, filled with the peace, joy and love you deserve. Have a fantastic Christmas and New Year!
- One of the greatest joys of Christmas is having your whole family by your side to celebrate it with you.
- I wish you and your entire family a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.
- As Christmas and the New Year approaches, I want to take time to tell you how blessed I feel to have you as a friend. Here’s to wishing you a very Merry Christmas and amazing New Year.
- Christmas time is always so hectic. That’s why I’m so glad I have a friend like you to help me out during the holidays.
- I want to wish you and your family all the happiness and joy of Christmas. I hope we can get together this holiday season and spend quality time together.
- The tree is decorated, the cookies are made, the gifts are wrapped; now all that’s left is to wish you a
- Merry Christmas. So, Merry Christmas dear friend.
- May your heart and home be filled with all of the joys the season brings. Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!